There are three reasons I blog.
1. To keep anyone interested (mainly grandparents) updated on the happenings of our family.
2. I was given a box of my childhood photos. Very few have any details of who, what, or when, and my memory is terrible, so I don't remember much about what was happening -- and I wish I did. (Don't feel bad Mom -- you had six kids, worked, and didn't have the technology today that makes it so much easier). But because of that, I want my kids to be able to look back and be able to see/read what was going on and what their lives were like as children.
3. My original goal was to have all our life perfectly scrapbooked and kept up to date. ...Right... So that didn't happen. So, then I made a goal of first getting the first year of each child scrapbooked, and then go back and scrapbook the rest as I had time. With the blog, I could flip back to the date and pictures of the event to be scrapbooked, and I would have everything written down so I could just put it in the scrapbook -- which has worked great.
So, I have digitally scrapbooked a little more than a year with both Emma and Jake. Yay! Goal achieved so far. I wanted to print them into a book so I had something home they could look at and read, and finally got motivated to get it done. I now have two books that cover about a year of our lives (Jake's year). This is "The Good".
I did his first because I knew I wanted to redo a few of Emma's because when I started digitally scrapbooking, I wasn't very good, and I wanted her pages to look a little nicer. So, I started taking a look at them, and was realizing I was REALLY bad back then, and would want to redo a bit more than expected -- more time taken away from starting Luke's and catching up. This is "The Bad".
The Utterly Frustrating? Well, as I took a closer look, I remembered that when I started almost 7 years ago, I had sized my layouts for being posted on the internet because I had planned to have them on a website -- at the time, I thought they would print fine like that also, but the quality is not good enough... So, now instead of redoing a handful of pages, I have to redo about 6 months of her year -- which is when I started doing them in the higher printing quality... Yes -- I got quite frustrated.
On the bright side, It won't take as long to fix them, as I already have the pictures and words picked out from the previous pages. I'm also much more motivated to get them all done now, as the kids have already enjoyed looking through the two books I printed. Seeing the end product and that they truly enjoy them, will make it worth it.
Your feelings about not knowing/remembering much of your childhood can't compare to mine as I had such high goals for keeping wonderful books - different than what can be done today - but at least organize photos and stories. I am so grateful that my children are doing a much better job than I did - you can all help me get my life and stuff put together some day. Love you!!
ReplyDelete