I've been trying to keep this blog in chronological order as I try to catch up to real time, but since this is an on-going issue, I figure it's worth a flash-forward to now. Lucas was born with a misshapen head. It was flat in the back left, flat in the front right, ears not quite parallel to each other, and a few random bumps around other areas. Because of the shape, he would favor laying on his left side, which caused his SCM muscle (from upper sternum to behind the ear) on his right side to be shorter and tighter. This cause him to keep his right side tight and kind of curled, and always wanting to look left. His right ear close to his right shoulder. So at his 4 month check up, they referred us to a physical therapist. She helped us loosen up his right side, get him looking both ways, and I positioned him in sleep to help round out the back of his head. She was concerned about the front though, thinking that the bones possibly could have prematurely fused (which would require surgery) or that his bones needed a little persuasion in moving (which would require a helmet) -- so we were referred to a head specialist.
It takes a while to get in to a specialist, and over the last month, we've noticed gradual improvement in shape, but we were still a bit worried because, as you can see in the pictures, it's still a little uneven.(First one was taken a few months ago, and it has improved since then). Last night I was able to see the head specialist -- Dr. Griffith -- and to our relief, he thinks his head will round out on it's own. We'll go back in for a check up in March to make sure bones are still moving, but feeling very relieved with this good news! This poor guy's been through enough!


No comments:
Post a Comment