Sunday, December 14, 2014

Lucas is Here! Day 1

Having had two difficult deliveries, the doctors and I decided it was best to do a C-section third time around. I was a bit nervous, but SO glad I did it. It was a walk in the park compared to the other two (delivery and recovery)! Here's Brad all suited up for the delivery...
of Lucas Orrin Wight, born at 7:58 am, 7lbs 8 oz, 19.5 inches long. He was not happy being pulled from his nice cozy home, and he definitely let us know. What a screamer! 

Then they brought him over so I could see him -- love at first sight, of course! I couldn't get over how small he was (my previous child being Jake -- who was huge), and how his head didn't have any scrapes or bruises! He was a perfect little boy. 

While I was getting put back together, Brad and Lucas were in the nursery. His oxygen levels were going down, so they put him on just a little bit of oxygen. It didn't improve, and his lungs were sticking together instead of fully inflating, so they put the Cpap on him to force air into his lungs. 


It was pretty scary seeing him like that, but the Dr's and nurses didn't seem too concerned because he was a full-term, good sized baby, and that sometimes a baby's lungs just need a little boost. He still didn't improve, and they took him into the NICU.


Definitely not the turn of events we were expecting at all. I had to stay in my room without my baby. Brad wheeled me in so we could see him, but no holding, and I was scared to even touch him. That night, after Brad went home to take care of the other kids, I got the good drugs in my system, and walked with my IV pole to the NICU (with a nurse making sure I didn't fall). The NICU nurse looking after Lucas said since I walked the whole way over there, that she thought I should be able to hold him. She was a big believer in "Kangaroo Kare" (skin on skin) helping sick babies. She let me stay about an hour -- about 10pm. I was so grateful to her. I needed to hold my baby.




No comments:

Post a Comment